About AmeriCorps South Carolina
Best summarized as a domestic Peace Corps, AmeriCorps enables host agencies to recruit passionate individuals (AmeriCorps Members) who will serve to increase the capacity of their organization to expand services or engage additional beneficiaries. To help support their service, AmeriCorps Members receive both a modest living allowance and an education award that ranges between $1,342.86 to $6,345 that can be used to continue their education or pay back eligible student loans. Additionally, full-time AmeriCorps Members also receive grant-supported health insurance and childcare.
Service Focus Areas
- Disaster Services
- Economic Opportunity
- Environmental Stewardship
- Healthy Futures
- Veterans & Military Families
What We Fund
- Salaries and benefits for staff who will administer the AmeriCorps program and/or manage AmeriCorps Members.
- Operational expenses such as recruitment costs, travel, training, supplies, member gear, background checks, etc.
- AmeriCorps Member living allowance, health insurance, FICA taxes, and workers compensation insurance.
The following entities are eligible to host an AmeriCorps program and apply for AmeriCorps SC funding:
- Faith-based institutions
- Indian tribes and tribal organizations
- Labor organizations
- Nonprofit organizations
- Partnerships and consortia
- Schools, school districts, and institutions of higher education
- State and local government agencies
How to Apply for Funding
AmeriCorps SC’s 2021/22 Notice of Funding Opportunity, which includes full details on how to apply, is now available. Please download the Notice HERE.
Organizations interested in applying for 2021/22 funding will need to have watched the online Applicant Training Module, completed the AmeriCorps SC Fundamentals Assessment, and submitted a concept paper by no later than 5pmEST on Jan. 29th, 2021. Detailed information on how to complete each step is included in the Notice.
As part of the concept paper process, applicants will also need to complete and submit the South Carolina Service Commission’s Financial Management Survey. Please download the survey HERE.