What is a Census?
What is a Census in the USA?
When does the Census 2020 start?
- Where schools, libraries, fire stations, and other public services are located
- Allocation of resources for Medicaid, SNAP, the Section 8 Housing Choice Voucher program, Head Start, and Highway Planning and Construction for the State of South Carolina.
- How many seats are allocated to each state in the US House of Representatives. After the 2010 census, SC gained an additional seat to represent our growing population.
- Data collected during the decennial census is mandated to confidential protection for 72 years. This means data cannot be used to impact any federal benefits a person receives.
If you are filling out the census for your home, you should count everyone who is living there as of April 1, 2020. This includes anyone who is living and sleeping there most of the time. If someone is staying in your home on April 1, and has no usual home elsewhere, you should count them in your response to the 2020 Census. Any child born by April 1, 2020 should be counted in the census.
How do I count?
- By phone.
- By mail.
How much do I matter?
How We Help
- Minigrants to support the execution of Community Action Plans targeting specific census tracts or hard to count populations.
- Support with training and facilitation to develop a Community Action Plan to engage specific census tracts or hard to count populations.
- Shared digital, print, and informational resources.